Sunday, May 25, 2014

Entry #10

Intermediate

This is my outfit I designed which includes a vest, t-shirt, skirt, bag, flower hair clip, and a pair of flats. I tried to dress the outfit up with the bag and accessories. This outfit reveals this girl is a more classic dresser and would prefer a more fun, modest outfit. I think it would be a great meet outfit for American Girl to make for a future Girl of the Year because it is cute and practical. This girl has a love for classic literature and believes in reading for fun. She is also motivated to learn as much as she can each and everyday and keeps her hand bag close by to store her latest classic novel. One of her favorite quotes is an old Chinese Proverb saying, “A book is like a garden, carried in the pocket.''  She enjoys meeting new people and another tidbit about her is that she loves to take care of her pet dog. 

While I am a beginner seamstress, I was inspired to enter this year’s contest after seeing last year’s amazing entries. At a young age, I desired to sew my own doll clothes. My goal is to be able to design and even wear outfits myself that are fun, feminine, and totally cute! For the contest, I was inspired by things I have worn over the years. You know, those classic pieces that are everyday wearable yet stylish enough for that special occasion, like a lunch date with your mom or friends. Since I really like the way this outfit came together, my next project is to make one in my size ;)




Here is my sketch:


The T-Shirt:

For the shirt I used a black floral jersey knit which has a lot of stretch to it. I also used Liberty Jane’s trendy T-shirt pattern to get the right fit.  (Liberty Jane is awesome! Btw, they have great dolly sized patterns, too).





Hemming the edges of the shirt (knit fabric does not fray).

The bag: 


To give the bag shape I cut the corners to both of the main pieces and sewed them together to create the bag’s shape. Then sewed them together with the flap and strap. Then turned it inside out.


Sewing the strap…


Cutting corners…


The Denim Vest:

Here are all the pattern pieces cut out.




I repurposed some used jeans and there was just enough fabric in only one pant leg to make the vest. 


I  used the vest pattern to make the lining which is the same blue cotton as the bag. Then I finished of the edges with my serger to prevent fraying. After the lining was added I turned the vest inside out and added the pocket, button, and button hole. 


The Skirt:

The skirt is my own pattern. The base is a shiny white (fake) silk, with a stretchy polka-dot tule overlay. By the way, I would like to mention that this fabric is recycled plastic (which sounds really odd to me).  And all the fabric used for entire outfit is fair trade :)



I started out by measuring my dolls waist then multiplying that by four so the skirt would have lots of gathers. 


Lots of gathers…



Finished Product Photos:






Her favorite book, Heidi.


A book is like a garden, carried in the pocket (or in this case-a bag!)


Her fluffy little puppy wants some attention.



'Aww, I'll pet you Coconut.''







This is the hair clip I made which can also be attached to her belt. And the belt can also be used as a headband…so many stylish possibilities!






__________________


Voting for the 2014 Spring FDC 
Starts On May 28th, 2014.

Voting Ends June 11th, 2014.

Please vote for this entry by commenting below or 
emailing us at nora.demington@gmail.com.

Vote for Entry #10, by writing -- "I vote for Entry #10."

We recommend voting for one newbie entry, 
one intermediate, and one pro, at least.

Thank you!

61 comments:

  1. I love your in progress shots! The outfit is stylish and fun! It's something I'd wear. I vote for entry #10!

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote for entry #10

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I girl trying to wear modest clothing only, I love this look! I vote for Entry #10. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!!!
    I vote #10!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I vote for Entry #10.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job! I vote for entry 10!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I vote for entry #10! Love your outfit and especially that adorable bag you made! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I vote for #10.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I vote for entry #10. This seamstress has amazing talent!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I vote for entry #10. Love this creative and feminine look!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I vote for entry #10. Adorable outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! What a great job, and such attention to detail! I vote for #10!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I vote for # 10

    ReplyDelete
  14. I vote for #10. Nicely done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. #10 - absolutely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I vote for #10. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I vote for #10. Excellent work, beautiful style, and creative ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I vote for #10 :-) :-) :-)
    Great job. You are well on your way to making it all the way to the fashion runway.
    P.s. love the quote about the book being like a garden.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I vote for number 10

    ReplyDelete
  20. I vote for #10.
    Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I vote for #10. Very precise work and I like all the details. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I vote for#10. Very precise work and good attention to detail. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I vote for #10 great work!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I vote for #10

    ReplyDelete
  25. i vote for #10 too!! amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Number 10 gets my vote. Good job & great story. Love the dog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I vote for entry #10! Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow. I vote for entry #10

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is amazing - I am so impressed! I vote for entry #10!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is amazing - I am so impressed! I vote for #10!

    ReplyDelete
  31. #10 is great...gets my vote! So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm voting for #10. Impossible to not see the talent here.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I vote for entry #10

    ReplyDelete
  34. I vote for entry #10

    ReplyDelete
  35. I vote for entry #!10 Wow, what an incredible job you did!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. That is a great project I vote for entry #10. Small sewing is a big challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I vote for entry #10. Small sewing is a BIG challange. Nice job! and beautiful accessories.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I vote for #10, great job....love your stuff.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  39. I proudly vote for #10 - What an amazing talent! You rock girl ...

    ReplyDelete