Sunday, May 25, 2014

Entry #13

Intermediate

Task 1: Outfit Design  


For the Meet Challenge, I wanted to introduce a girl who channels a bit of eclectic vintage charm... a la Zooey Deschanel...an alter ego character (if I were fearless).  My inspiration collage must-haves include plenty of lace, polka dots, and bows.  To keep the outfit grounded, accessories are in earthy-brown leather, and a carefree hairstyle tops off the ensemble.  

I knew I wanted to create a skirt and top, and chose fabrics that kept with my design elements.  I designed the pattern myself, using an old Pleasant Company blouse pattern as loose inspiration for the top.  To finish her outfit, I designed a matching belt, messenger bag, and sandals, as well as a light cotton slip for under her skirt, and a vintage-inspired charm necklace.

....and then I went to work... :)

Task 2: In Process


Skirt

I chose a cream lace fabric for the skirt, and lined the pieces with muslin before assembling.  I based the pleats off a skirt in my inspiration collage.  Having measured and cut without a pattern, I had to adjust hem length, and take in the back to fit her waist measurements (learning experience!).  I finished the waist closure with a small button.


Blouse & Slip

For the blouse, I used a cotton polka dot print, and used the basic bodice concept from an old Pleasant Company blouse pattern.  I altered it to be lined & sleeveless, and used velcro for the back closure.  The slip is a simple muslin concoction, with an elastic waistband.  Both the blouse collar and slip trim are vintage lace...estate sale finds.


Belt

The belt is made from a chocolate brown leather-like vinyl.  Simply folded, stitched, and attached a snap under the bow.  Super fun to make, in spite of the vinyl trying to roll away whilst under the presser foot!!


Messenger Bag

Using this tutorial as a guide (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuOExHbPMcQ), I made a messenger bag with matching vinyl, and lined it with scrap lace from the skirt.  I want one in my size!  :)


Sandals & Necklace

I have never attempted doll shoes before this, and they were definitely a challenge.  I found some vintage (circa 1930s) buckles on Etsy, the perfect size for doll sandal straps!  I wanted to tie in the bows, from the belt & bag.  Lots of glue and a bit of French, and they are finally done!  ;)

 Definitely something I want to practice...they COULD be fun!!  I got carried away with the necklace, and only have one before/in-progress photo... all the bits & baubles 'pre-necklace'.  I cut down an old necklace chain to size, re-attached the clasp, and added a few charms.  

Task 3: Outfit Complete 

Meet Miss Molly :)










__________________


Voting for the 2014 Spring FDC 
Starts On May 28th, 2014.

Voting Ends June 11th, 2014.

Please vote for this entry by commenting below or 
emailing us at nora.demington@gmail.com.

Vote for Entry #13, by writing -- "I vote for Entry #13."

We recommend voting for one newbie entry, 
one intermediate, and one pro, at least.

Thank you!

42 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I would wear that! Love it all! I vote for Entry #13. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want this!!!! *faints* I absolutely vote for entry #13!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can u make it in my size?! Haha :) I vote for number 13!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I vote for #13! So adorable, dolls like to be stylish too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I vote for lucky 13, dolls like to be stylish too!😀

    ReplyDelete
  6. I vote for #13! So adorable, dolls like to be stylish too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess i voted 3 times, sorry haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. I vote for #13! gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable! I vote for #13!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I vote for #13. And I want it in my size :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I vote for #13! Just a little biased! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. For intermediate I vote for #13

    ReplyDelete
  13. I vote for entry #13

    ReplyDelete
  14. I vote for entry #13! Adorable work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I vote for entry #13! Adorable work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I vote for entry #13

    ReplyDelete
  17. Best dressed doll in town! I vote for entry #13

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very vintage, and very cute! I vote for entry #13

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous work, I vote for entry #13!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is too cute--I vote for entry #13.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I vote for Entry #13.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love it! So fashionable! :) I vote for #13

    ReplyDelete
  23. So adorable! I vote for #13!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I vote for entry #13. Wow! I think you should be in the pro section. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Cute! I vote for entry #13!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I vote for Entry#13. The execution and photography are good.

    ReplyDelete