Sunday, May 25, 2014

Entry #12

Newbie

Stage 1: Inspiration
 
Venice is an adventurer. That's her hobby: going on adventures. She's also a bit obsessed with elves and fairies and Lord of the Rings and other fantasy novels where people(sometimes mythical creatures) go on adventures in wonderful far-off lands. So when I asked her what she wanted her meet outfit to be like, this is what we came up with:
 
Some kind of mix between.....

...Legolas...


... And Peter Pan.  


Plus some elements that are just Venice. She likes to accessorize and improvise. So a lot of the designing happened as I was sewing and looking through my fabric stash and various boxes of crafty doo-dads.
 
I know the finished product didn't actually have very many elements of Legolas's outfit, but that's the way it worked out. All Venice really wanted from it was the elven cloak, anyway. ;)
 
Stage 2: In Progress
 
First off, here are my materials. I didn't end up using some of them(I used different ribbon, and I didn't use the brown suede or the tan stuff in the middle), but this does show the material for the dress, the cloak, and the two sashes.   
   

I'm terribly bad at remembering to pause to take in-progress photos,
so here is the dress, just before I hem the neckline:


Once I got the dress done and tied on the sashes, I decided the outfit was missing something. So I decided to add a necklace. So I dug around in an old box of buttons and various other stuff, and found this:


Measuring out the cloak:   



Cutting the cloak:   


Hemming it:

   
And sewing it:


In the same box in which I found the key, I found this little treasure to work as the decorative clasp on the cloak, because I couldn't find anything even closely resembling a leaf:



   Attaching the hood of the cloak:

   Stage 3: Finished Product
 
And here it is! Hope you enjoy. :)   





I know I didn't have anything to do with the making of these earrings. ;) 
But they're still part of the out fit. :)   


You might notice that I didn't do any sewing on the sashes or this hair tie. This is to give it that thrown-together, adventuring feel. :)   



Didn't make these boots either. But they're so perfect for Venice. Boots are good footwear for adventurers, plus these are very cute and fashionable. :)   




__________________


Voting for the 2014 Spring FDC 
Starts On May 28th, 2014.

Voting Ends June 11th, 2014.

Please vote for this entry by commenting below or 
emailing us at nora.demington@gmail.com.

Vote for Entry #12, by writing -- "I vote for Entry #12."

We recommend voting for one newbie entry, 
one intermediate, and one pro, at least.

Thank you!

18 comments:

  1. I'm voting for entry #12! This outfit is so creative! I love LOTR and you did a great job of mixing and matching ideas to make a beautiful outfit! Legolas is one of my favorite characters:)
    I entered the 2013 FDC last year, http://2013dwfashiondesignchallenge.blogspot.com/2013/07/entry-1.html. My entries were #1 and #37. I didn't have time to do it this year but I'm having fun voting!
    I just love this outfit. Keep up the good work!

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote for entry #12!

    --Kate :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I vote for Entry #12

    ReplyDelete
  4. I vote 4 entry #12

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! good job!
    I vote for #12

    ReplyDelete
  6. I vote for Entry #12.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I vote for entry #12

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very well made! ♥ I vote for entry #12.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I vote for entry #12. The button for the clasp looks just right.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I vote for entry #12!

    ReplyDelete