Sunday, May 25, 2014

Entry #11

Pro



1.  Outfit Design


For my submission for the 2014 Spring FDC "Meet Outfit" I decided to create an outfit for Nellie, Samantha's best friend.  I chose Nellie because I purchased her second-hand on Craigslist without any clothes.  I did some research online and found that Nellie's original Meet Outfit was a white party dress. I watched the movie "Samantha - An American Girl Holiday" and learned that Nellie is a poor immigrant girl from Ireland who has to work as a servant to help support her family.  I decided to try to duplicate the outfit she is wearing when we first meet her in the movie because a white party dress probably wasn't something Nellie would have owned at that time.

I also wanted to try to create an historical outfit from the Victorian era that was typical of every-day clothing for children of modest means.  While not as frilly and lacy as expensive dresses made by dressmakers and worn by more affluent girls like Samantha, I wanted to demonstrate that home sewn clothes in that era could also be attractive.


When Nellie first appears in the movie, she is wearing a printed dress with small leg of mutton sleeves, a calico apron and a straw hat.  

She's carrying a large carpet bag used for her suitcase.



From a distance her outfit looks a bit drab and faded but up close you can see the nicely sewn details and pretty fabrics.  
I'm assuming that Nellie's deceased mother had been an excellent seamstress and although she couldn't afford expensive fabrics, she made sure her daughters wore well-made clothing.



I'll search for fabrics similar in color and pattern to what Nellie wears in the movie.  I'll add my own details to what isn't seen in the photos, such as tucks and buttons on the dress under her apron. 

I will sew what would be typical underwear worn in that period, namely "combinations"


and a petticoat of white cotton.



I'll make black cotton socks and leather high top shoes typical of the era and I'll also try to make a straw hat with the same shape and style as Nellie's.  
An additional accessory will be a carpet bag similar to what she is carrying.



Inside the carpet bag will be her few belongings, including her nightgown and a hairbrush.  I'll make the nightgown plain and simple as shown, without lace or ruffles.



Later in the movie we see Nellie wearing a blue coat with black trim.  I'll assume Nellie's mother also made the coat out of affordable fabrics and will recreate the coat from an inexpensive flannel with a cotton lining.



2.  Outfit in the process of being created


With a cotton print as similar to her dress fabric as I could find, I modified a Primrose Lane pattern, adding leg of mutton sleeves and a high lace-trimmed collar. 


I added tucks in the bodice and button and loop closures to the bottom of the narrow sleeves. 


The back of her dress closes with buttons; neckline, back closure and armholes are finished with facings; seams are finished with an overcast stitch.


I made the apron from a pale green calico with box pleat tucks as seen in the movie.


Growth tucks were added to the bottom and the back closes with a button.
Once sewn, I tea-stained the apron to give it more of a vintage look.


Neckline, back closure and armholes are finished with facings; seams are finished with an overcast stitch.


For her underwear, I resized a pattern for Combinations and sewed them from white cotton batiste with cotton lace trim.


Sewing the "trap door" closure


I made her petticoat from cotton batiste with growth tucks and lace trim.



I bought a plain straw hat and tea-stained and reshaped it over a tin can to match her hat in the movie.


A black hatband and flowers provide the finishing touch.


Her socks are black cotton knit and her shoes are leather, 
created from a modified Liberty Jane pattern.




Her carpet bag is made from upholstery fabric and lined in a coordinating cotton print.



Leather from an old purse was re-purposed to make the straps and a purchased buckle was added.



I re-purposed a cotton shirt that is similar to her nightgown fabric.  The pattern is by Butterick.


Nellie's coat is made from a herringbone flannel with black flannel trim.  It is lined with a blue cotton tiny plaid.


I modified a Butterick coat pattern by widening the collar, adding a pleat in the back,


and adding a lining


Coat buttons are made from leather scraps.




3. Outfit completed and modeled by Nellie



Picking some flowers








Picking more flowers...






Indoor scenes










_________________

Voting for the 2014 Spring FDC 
Starts On May 28th, 2014.

Voting Ends June 11th, 2014.

Please vote for this entry by commenting below or 
emailing us at nora.demington@gmail.com.

Vote for Entry #11, by writing -- "I vote for Entry #11."

We recommend voting for one newbie entry, 
one intermediate, and one pro, at least.

Thank you!

41 comments:

  1. I vote for entry #11, LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this historical outfit. I vote for Entry #11

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super sweet! I vote for Entry #11. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I vote for 11! Wonderfully carried out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Outstanding workmanship! Love how it turned out. Gets my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! It looks so realistic! I vote for entry #11!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I vote for entry #11! This is my favorite entry in the whole contest! Beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love this outfit! I vote for entry #11.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I vote for #11. This is my favorite of the whole contest, I would buy this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tis entry gets my vote. Very well researched, designed and sewn.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I vote for #11, absolutely the best. The outfit is beautiful with stunning detail work and authenticity but it is whimsical too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I vote for entry # 11

    ReplyDelete
  13. all i can say is wow!
    i vote for #11!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I vote for entry 11

    ReplyDelete
  15. I vote for entry #11. This is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is the BEST one ever! I vote for 11!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I vote for Entry #11! I love this dress!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I vote for number 11.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you all so much for your kind comments and your votes!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I vote for #11!!! Absolutely the best work I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really like and vote for entry #11.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I vote for Entry #11. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's just PERFECT, #11 is the best

    ReplyDelete
  25. I vote entry #11

    ReplyDelete
  26. I vote for entry #11.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I vote for entry #11. While the design is not original, the story, craftsmanship and photography are excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you everyone for your votes and thank you Penny for the Honorable Mention!

      I am working on patterns for this outfit with all proceeds going to a Philanthropic Educational Organization that supports the education of women.

      If you would like to be notified when the patterns are available, please send your contact information to avd@thevandorens.com.

      Delete
  28. Sew cute! There were usually tucks around the bottoms of the skirts because they could be let out to add length as the child grew. When you see a band of plain ribbon sewn around in old photos, it's usually to hide a crease or color change when the tuck was let out. Much less expensive and time consuming than making another dress. The ensemble you've created is very charming.

    ReplyDelete