Sunday, May 25, 2014

Entry #29

Newbie

My outfit is for Saige Copeland, GOTY 2013. I chose her as the character as I thought her meet outfit lacked something.

Task 1: My Initial Design For My Outfit: 


I wanted a checked shirt, as it is very versatile and goes with the horse riding aspect of her story, and also the art aspect.
I added the shorts in, because of the upcoming warmer months, and also because I love turn up shorts (can you tell?). I added the braces (or suspenders or whatever you want to call them.) because I wanted something to break up the checks on the shirt.
The headband I added because I thought her head looked too bare and plain. I originally had a cowboy hat, but after annotating my design I realised that it didn't fit the look I was going for, so I swapped it for a headband.
The boots I wanted to be in black leather, and to be ankle height on Saige.
The shirt and the headband to be made of lightweight red checked cotton.
The shorts to be made of a light blue denim, and to be elasticated at the waist.
The boots to be made of black leather-type material, and to be closed at the back with Velcro (like AG boots)
*Note* I didn't end up making the boots, as they were too complicated, (so I used the boots from Julie's Casual Outfit (AG) ) I also didn't put the pockets on the shorts.

Task 2: Process Pictures:

I started with the shorts. I use my own pattern that I drafted, the added some extra on the bottom for the turn-ups. I used the technique for making doll trousers (pants) from this video by MyFroggyStuff.
Cut out the two pieces from denim. ( the colour of the pieces are different because these pieces are from my mock - up.)


I sewed the "J" shape on one side, then sewed the casing and threaded the elastic through.


 (This picture and the next picture are blurry - I apologise for that) I then sewed along the other "J" shape, then folded up the turn ups, and sewed the legs together.


I sewed the braces by folding the raw edges of a strip of denim in, then in again to meet each other in the middle (I hope that makes sense.)

I sewed the braces to the back of the shorts, then realised they were too long, so I had to adjust them before sewing the buttons and press studs (snaps) on.


Finished shorts


Next, the headband. I didn't use a pattern for this, I simply cut a long strip of red check fabric,then I hemmed it. I cut some elastic and sewed it onto the fabric using a zig-zag stitch


Finished headband


Finally, the shirt. I used a pyjama (pajama) shirt pattern from the Simplicity Crafts Pattern 5276, that I purchased.
I made a mock up first, just to check the fit. It was a little too small, so I had to adjust the pattern slightly to fit Saige.


Yes, I did sew the mock up with black thread and a large zig-zag stitch
I cut out all the pieces, and then sewed the shoulder seams together.


I sewed the collar on the wrong way round, so I had to redo it.


I then sewed the sleeves on, and hemmed the front. Then, I sewed the sides and sleeves shut.


Trying the shirt on Saige – there is a pin through the collar to keep it shut.


I sewed the buttons on, but I don’t have any pictures of that, unfortunately.


Task 3: Outfit Modeled: 












__________________


Voting for the 2014 Spring FDC 
Starts On May 28th, 2014.

Voting Ends June 11th, 2014.

Please vote for this entry by commenting below or 
emailing us at nora.demington@gmail.com.

Vote for Entry #29, by writing -- "I vote for Entry #29."

We recommend voting for one newbie entry, 
one intermediate, and one pro, at least.

Thank you!


11 comments: