Monday, May 26, 2014

Entry #37

Intermediate

Colonial Ariel   

Design Process:


For my design I decided to go with my two favorite things: colonial ball gowns and mermaid accessories. To keep with the ball gown idea I decided to use Felicity’s Christmas Dress pattern from American Girl Playthings. When I think of mermaids I think of pearls, tulle and seashells, so while I was designing it I knew I wanted to incorporate these things. I really liked the green and gold theme of Felicity’s Riding outfit and decided that would be my color theme. The dress consists of three main parts- the petticoat, the stomacher and the gown.  I decided not to make a pinner cap as I wanted to make a head piece that would clip on to a piece of hair and hang down the side of the dress. For shoes I decided to use the shoes from American Girl’s Midnight Holly Dress, I decided to use them because the gold ribbon and bow on the shoes would help tie together and the black would blend in.  For the stomacher I knew I wanted it to look like scales like a mermaid tail. The part of the petticoat that shoes through I wanted to incorporate tulle with colors ranging from white to dark green.  The gown part I wanted it to be dark green and gold. 

In progress pictures: 

Here are all my materials; I found the gold netting, pearls, dark green fabric and gold ribbon at my local goodwill. The rest I got at Joann’s.




These are some in progress shots of pinning and cutting out the skirt and bodice.  While designing I made some modifications to the stomacher because I wanted the gown to overlap it, not to go under it. I also decided that the gold netting would be perfect for the stomacher, but I thought that it would be too flashy so I toned it down a bit with three layers of dark green tulle.  For the gown part I used the dark green fabric and gold ribbon, I gathered the decorative ribbon and trim, this was my first time pleating and sewing sleeves so I also made mock-ups of the skirt and sleeves to practice. The underskirt I wanted to represent the different layers of a green ocean so, using white, shimmery green and dark green tulle I gathered about 16 layers and sewed them onto the underskirt, this created the layers of the ocean.  I added the finishing touch by creating the hair piece and I was finished. 




Completed Outfit:

What if Ariel lived in colonial times?   Even though she turned into a human Ariel still loves to be reminded of the sea so this is a perfect dress to wear, complete with tulle, seashells and pearls!  

















__________________


Voting for the 2014 Spring FDC 
Starts On May 28th, 2014.

Voting Ends June 11th, 2014.

Please vote for this entry by commenting below or 
emailing us at nora.demington@gmail.com.

Vote for Entry #37, by writing -- "I vote for Entry #37."

We recommend voting for one newbie entry, 
one intermediate, and one pro, at least.

Thank you!

26 comments:

  1. I vote for entry #37!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so pretty and unique! I vote for entry #37

    ReplyDelete
  3. BBeddoes.May 31, 2014 at 6:25 pmMay 31, 2014 at 3:27 PM

    I vote for #37, Colonial Ariel

    ReplyDelete
  4. #37 I love this one. It is well thought out and has a unique perspective. Amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I vote for #37. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful ! Great job ! I vote for # 37

    ReplyDelete
  7. I vote for #37. So creative and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I vote for #37. So creative and beautiful! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I vote for this one, #37! Unique, creative, and lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I vote off entry #37

    ReplyDelete